Young Alumni Council
Mission statement: To build the nation's largest network of engaged young alumni
The Iowa State University Alumni Association’s Young Alumni Council, made up of graduates of the past 10 years, was founded in 2007. The first-ever meetings of the Council were held on Sept. 7-8, 2007 and have since been held twice a year.
Over the past several years, the Iowa State University Alumni Association (ISUAA) has placed an increased emphasis on creating and sustaining meaningful connections with Iowa State’s “young alumni” (graduates of the past 10 years). Targeted event planning, membership drives, marketing campaigns, and various communications are being directed toward this growing demographic.
Today, young alumni make up 22.2 percent of the overall alumni body (40,063 of 221,379 living, addressable graduates) and 5.8 percent of our current membership (2,831 of 49,059). The importance of accepting, encouraging, and developing the talents and resources of this young alumni demographic will be key to continued success in promoting Iowa State University and connecting Iowa State alumni with one another.
- The Young Alumni Council consists of 13 young alumni, two current students, and a liaison to the ISUAA Board of Directors
- Councilors have been chosen from a variety of ages and graduation years within our demographic, and we continue to seek as much diversity as possible
- The Councilors should be available to meet in Ames two times per year
- Each Councilor will be responsible for costs associated with travel back to Ames, as well as any lodging costs
- Each Councilor will also be responsible for soliciting awards nomination and membership through personal and Association networks
- The Young Alumni Council has been responsible for the development of multiple young alumni events, the creation of a young alumni newsletter, the evaluation of young alumni membership benefits, and much more.
Focusing our outreach to this group requires more involved and creative techniques, a more diverse message, and engaged leadership that understands the attitudes of the young alumni segment. With the Young Alumni Council's assistance and involvement we are able to better reach out to this segment of our alumni population and create meaningful experiences to keep them connected and engaged with Iowa State University, the ISUAA, and each other.
The Young Alumni Council also constantly reviews the ISUAA’s current programming and proposes ideas for reaching our “recent graduate” and “young alumni” demographics. Take a moment to meet the council by clicking on the link below.
Meet the Council
A current listing of our council members
ISU Young Alumni
See the Council's work and current initiatives
Apply for the Council
Download application; due June 1 annually