Cy's Days of Service
Iowa Staters coming together to serve others and their communities!
Every April, Everywhere
Cy’s Days of Service is designed to unite alumni worldwide in community service during the month of April, a month of strong tradition at ISU -- VEISHEA month! This month of service is a great opportunity to help spread the pride alumni have for Iowa State University, recognize the combined efforts of all alumni that have had a tremendous impact on local communities, and show how ISU alumni change the world.
For the second year, all ISU alumni, family, and friends have the entire month of April to complete a service opportunity of their choice that hits with their personal schedules and interests. This can be an opportunity people are already pursuing, or a new one that someone would like to try. Be sure to dress in ISU apparel to show your Cyclone pride.
How can I participate in Cy's Days of Service?
Let us know you are participating via our Facebook event page. Also, help us spread the word to fellow Cyclones by sharing the event. If you want to know what organized events are happening, check out the events calendar. If you don't see an organized event happening in your area, send information about what you are planning to Tillie Good (email@example.com) and we will add it to the calendar.
Once you have completed your project, be sure to log your hours and submit photos/videos here. Once the program is complete, photos/videos from events across the world will be available, along with the total hours logged by all alumni.
What should I wear?
Wear whatever you want, but of course we recommend ISU apparel! Did you know you can even get a custom T-shirt for your state of residence that declares you are a Cyclone?
Who can participate?
This event is open to all alumni and friends. You can participate by yourself, with fellow ISU alums, or even with your family. To let us know you're participating, visit our Facebook event page. Some local alumni clubs will also be organizing events. Please check our events calendar to see if the Alumni Association club in your area is organizing an event.
Prizes? I have a chance to win a prize?
We will be providing a prize for one individual in each of the following areas: best family photo, most hours completed by an individual, best ISU pride, best video, and best picture. To be eligible for a prize, an individual must log his or her hours and submit a photo/video where applicable.
What sorts of activities can I do?
Consider the following activities “to serve” in your area:
- Donate blood
- Serve food at a soup kitchen or shelter
- Donate gently used clothing and toys to a second-hand store
- Volunteer at your local hospital or retirement community
- Assist at an area elementary, middle, or high school
- Help beautify your city
- Volunteer as a museum guide
- Run or walk in a charity race
- Help at your local animal shelter
- Spend time with an elderly neighbor
- Offer to babysit for a friend or relative (free of charge)
- Help a friend with a home improvement project
- Deliver meals to homebound individuals
- Pick up litter in a local park or along a highway
- Plant flowers at a city building
- Volunteer at your local police station or fire department
- Share your special talent with others, i.e. play guitar at a local coffee shop, teach a craft session at your community center, paint a scene from your town and donate the work to a local office
- Donate food items to your local food bank
- Plant a commemorative tree to honor someone
- Adopt a zoo animal
- Assist at a local sporting event
- Volunteer at your local parks and recreation
- Help someone learn to read
- Hold a fundraiser for a local charity (car wash, pancake breakfast)
- Donate books to your local library
- Collect items to be recycled (glass bottles, newspapers, old phone books)
- Volunteer at a local non-profit organization
- Donate toiletry items to a local shelter
- Mow lawns
- Read to a child
- Make kid-friendly items for your children’s hospital
- Volunteer at a local fair or community event
- Offer to teach your expertise to a local scout group (woodworking, automotive care, smart finances, astronomy, wildlife)
- Donate school supplies to your local elementary, middle, and high school
What if I need more information or if I have questions?
Please feel free to contact Tillie Good at firstname.lastname@example.org or (515) 294-2584 (toll-free to 877-478-2586) with any questions or comments.
We are excited about Cy's Days of Service as it is an opportunity to allow Cyclones around the world to "come together" to give back to their local communities while showcasing Iowa State pride and one of ISU's great traditions--VEISHEA.
During this month of service, the combined efforts of all alumni provided more than 1,500 hours of service worldwide! (View photo gallery.)
- Total number of projects submitted: 178
- Total number of service hours: 1,519.5
- Number of states represented: 24
- Oldest ISU grad participant: Neal Jennings ('49 civil engr) of Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Most recent ISU grad participant: Kyle Petersen ('11 elec engr) of Boise, Idaho
- Most service hours: 106 by Pat Olson ('72 computer sci) of Sugar Hill, Ga.
- Closest project to ISU: Chris Olsen ('10 animal sci) of Ames
- Farthest project from ISU: Charles Gollnick ('89 computer engr) of Sherwood, Ore.
- State with the most participants (outside of Iowa): Kansas
- Largest group: ISUAA Club of Kansas City
- Best photo winner: Clyde Tiffany ('83 agronomy/ag mech) of Spicer, Minn.
- Best family photo winner: Lindsey Long ('03 marketing) of Ames
- Best ISU pride winner: ISUAA Club of Dallas-Fort Worth