The Farm House holds a special place in the hearts of Iowa Staters. It is our first building, constructed in 1865 as both a home and an office building. It was home to deans of agriculture until 1970, when Dean Floyd Andre moved out. There was talk of razing the old building, but the time was right for a rebirth. The Farm House Museum opened its doors on July 4, 1976. Today, the museum attracts more than 8,000 visitors every year and is one of the first ways that Iowa State reaches out to K-12 students.
A cherished tradition is the Farm House’s winter holiday events, including making Victorian decorations, sampling period treats, and taking a horse-drawn wagon ride from the Knoll to the Farm House.
For more information, see the Farm House Museum
This site is co-sponsored by the ISU Alumni Association and the University Archives, ISU Library.