Media Kit & Downloads
Homecoming History (University Archives)
News release (last updated Aug. 21, 2012)
For more information, contact:
Julie Larson, Director of Outreach & Events, ISU Alumni Association, 515-294-8490, firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Lickteig, Assistant Director of Outreach & Events, ISU Alumni Association, 515-294-1955, email@example.com
Kurt Beyer, Student Alumni Leadership Council Adviser, ISU Alumni Association, 515-294-2632, firstname.lastname@example.org
Iowa State prepares to celebrate 100th anniversary of Homecoming
Ames, Iowa -- The Iowa State University Alumni Association is preparing to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Homecoming at Iowa State, Oct. 22-27 on the ISU campus. The “Cytennial” Homecoming celebration will include a wide variety of events for students, alumni, and members of the community.
Event highlights will include:
- Friday, Oct. 26 Pep Rally & Centennial Celebration, ISU Alumni Center, 5-9 p.m., free
This year the traditional ISU Homecoming pep rally moves from central campus to the grounds of the ISU Alumni Center, 420 Beach Ave., adjacent to the Iowa State Center parking lot. The pep rally program featuring Cyclone football coach Paul Rhoads, members of the football and basketball teams, and the finals of the annual Yell-Like-Hell competition, will begin at 7 p.m. A cash bar will be provided by Olde Main Brewing Co., and food will be available for purchase (FREE with Homecoming button). The first 100 fans in attendance will receive a special Homecoming souvenir. The beautiful ISU Alumni Center, which opened in 2008, also has a variety of spaces at which alumni can gather for Friday night mini reunions. The pep rally is being sponsored by the Iowa State University Book Store, which will also be on hand selling merchandise during the event.
- Friday, Oct. 26 ExCYtement in the Streets, Greek Community, 8 p.m., free
Following the Pep Rally & Centennial Celebration, Iowa Staters are encouraged to head into the nearby Greek Community to view Homecoming lawn displays. The self-guided “still parade” is a Homecoming classic.
- Friday, Oct. 26 Pancake Feed, central campus, 10 p.m.-midnight, $3
Join us on central campus for all-you-care-to-eat pancakes.
- Friday, Oct. 26, Fireworks and Mass Campaniling, central campus, midnight-1 a.m., free
A breathtaking fireworks display will follow Iowa Staters creating their own fireworks under the landmark Campanile. As tradition goes, one is not truly an Iowa Stater until he or she kisses under the Campanile as the clock strikes midnight. In honor of the 100th Homecoming, student organizers are hoping to assemble the biggest-ever group of “Mass Campanilers” to participate in this tradition.
- Saturday, Oct. 27, Cyclone Central Homecoming Tailgate, ISU Alumni Center, 3 hours prior to kickoff, free
As always, the ISU Alumni Association will be hosting a pregame football tailgate at the ISU Alumni Center to celebrate Homecoming. Admission is free, though fans wanting catered meals from Hickory Park Restaurant must register and pay in advance at www.isualum.org/cyclonecentral. The tailgate is being sponsored by the Iowa State University Book Store and Gateway Hotel & Conference Center, and a cash bar will be available from Olde Main Brewing Co. The University Book Store will be selling merchandise during the tailgate.
- Saturday, Oct. 27, Cyclone Football vs. Baylor, Jack Trice Stadium, kickoff time TBD, ticket info/cost TBD
The Iowa State football team will face Baylor in its annual Homecoming football game. The Cyclones are 2-0 all-time against Baylor in Homecoming contests (1997, 2009).
Other events that will be going on during Homecoming are:
- Sunday Homecoming breakfast: Join the Main Street Cultural District for all-you-care-to-eat pancakes, sausage, coffee, and orange drink at the American Legion Post #37, 225 Main St., from 8-11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 28. Cost is $5. Contact Mandy McWherter (email@example.com) for more information.
- Souvenir button sales: Buttons are already available ($5) at the ISU Alumni Center during regular business hours, and they can also be purchased at all Cyclone Central tailgates (every home football Saturday) this fall and at the University Book Store’s booth at the Iowa State Fair Aug. 9-19. Those wearing official Homecoming buttons will receive a free lunch on Central campus Sunday-Friday of Homecoming week as well as free dinner at the ISU Alumni Center Friday night during the Pep Rally & Centennial Celebration.
- ISU Extension Activities: ISU Extension will be encouraging county offices across the state to host local events in honor of the Homecoming centennial. Contact your local Iowa State University Extension and Outreach office to learn about activities in your area.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences "Butter Cy" Display: A life-sized sculpture of ISU's mascot, created by State Fair butter sculptor Sarah Pratt, will be available for viewing in the Kildee Hall atrium Friday, Oct. 26 from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 27 from 7:30 a.m.-kickoff of the football game.
- Homecoming Central Committee Reunion: The Student Alumni Leadership Council is organizing a reunion of all past members of the Homecoming Central Committee on Friday, Oct. 26. Details TBD. Contact Kurt Beyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Alumni Band Reunion: The annual ISU Alumni Band Reunion will be Oct. 26-27 on campus. Details TBD. Contact John Mostek (email@example.com) for more information.
- Football Letterwinners Reunion & Facility Dedication: Details are still being determined, but the ISU Letterwinners Club is planning its annual football reunion for Friday, Oct. 26, in conjunction with the dedication of the new Cyclone football facility west of Jack Trice Stadium. Contact Lindsey Long (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Letterwinners tent and mini reunions: The ISU Letterwinners Club will have a tent in the football parking lots on Saturday, Oct. 27 to facilitate connections between alumni teammates. Details TBD. Contact Lindsey Long (email@example.com) for more information.
- Catt Center 20th Anniversary Reunion: ISU’s Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics is celebrating its 20th anniversary with a reunion event Oct. 26 from 5-8 p.m. in the Memorial Union. Details TBD. Contact the Catt Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Department of Food Science & Human Nutrition Reunion Weekend: Alumni of the department are invited to gather for a weekend of activities. Visit http://www.fshn.hs.iastate.edu/2012/07/09/homecoming-2012/ for more information.
- Animal Science Chuckwagon Breakfast: Animal science alumni and friends are invited to an omelet breakfast cooked by faculty on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 8 a.m. in the Kildee Hall Farm Bureau Pavilion.
Several other Homecoming events are still in the works. Stay tuned to www.isualum.org/homecoming2012 for the latest details as they become available. The ISU Alumni Association will also post event information, fun facts, history, and more on the official Cytennial Homecoming Facebook page at www.facebook.com/homecoming12.
Alumni who are interested in planning their own reunions during Homecoming are encouraged to contact Katie Lickteig (email@example.com) for assistance. Greek-related reunions are being organized through Jenn Plagman-Galvin (firstname.lastname@example.org) in ISU’s office of Greek Affairs.
To view a list of alumni and friends who are already planning to attend (and add your name to the list), go online to /en/events/homecoming/homecoming_2012/whos_coming/.